Sunday, December 16, 2012

We'll do things a little differently after they put me in charge


Friday, I got up early and went to the gas station at about 7:30 to fill up with diesel fuel.  Then I went inside the little store to see if, by chance, they had any of the special world-famous Christmas Beer "Noche Buena" (which I always like to mispronounce as "Buenas Noches" to try and get a laugh).  Anyway, I saw a box and put it on the counter and asked if they had any more and a fellow told me that he would go and look.  I stepped outside to wait because I knew it would be at least ten or fifteen minutes.  These are the same people who looked for half an hour a few days ago and found nothing.
Outside, there was a work crew with a big truck full of guardrails and tools and so forth, so I started chatting with them for a few minutes.  When I re-entered the store, a miracle had occurred and there were two boxes of beer waiting for me.  The first box, the one I had found, had been warm so I assumed the second box also had not been in the refrigerator.
I went back outside and continued talking with some of the fellows on the road crew.  A couple of them asked for beer and I opened up one of the boxes to demonstrate that the beer was still warm and not fit  to drink.  But another miracle had happened and the beer was cold.  I guess the ones they had been able to dig up must have been in the cooler!
From what I have been able to observe, it appears to be customary to drink beer for breakfast in Mexico, so I handed a couple of bottles up to the fellows on the truck.
Later that day, I drove to Cihuatlan, which is about twelve miles away and is the ig city around here, where you need to go if you want to buy big 55-gallon barrels to put your trash in or gold-foil wrapped chocolate coins or any of various things that are not available in Melaque.  Cihuatlan has a population of about 18,000.
On the way, I passed the work crew and didn't think anything of it.  But then, coming back to Melaque, I took a closer look at exactly what they were doing.  They were putting up guardrails on a curve that must be one of the least dangerous in Mexico, a slow, gentle, sweeping curve on a road that is properly graded.  There are probably at least 25,000 or so curves that I have seen personally with my own eyes where these guardrails could be put to ten times better use!  (The road from Las Varas to Tepic, for just one example).  So I pulled my motorhome over to the side of the road determined to straighten things out with the crew's supervisor.
The problem turned out to be that they remembered I had a refrigerator full of beer!  I ended up with the supervisor, four or five of his crew, and even the girl in the orange vest who is supposed to warn the cars to slow down all piled inside my van drinking beer and looking at the map and telling stories and laughing at the stupidity of the beaurocrats.  They showed me, using the map, where that had started from and where they were going next, and I showed them (or tried to) where the dangerous mountain roads are located, but they did not seem much interested in that.
They seemed to understand the concept of what we in the United States call "job security" pretty well, and I can only say that if the Mexicans are going to start putting up guard rails at every bend in the road (apparently starting with the easy ones and saving the more difficult projects for later), then these fine, upstanding, ambitious young fellows will have guaranteed employment for the rest of their lives.



Las cosas van a ser diferentes después de que me puso a cargo


Viernes, me levanté temprano y fui a la gasolinera cerca de las 7:30 a llenar con combustible diesel. Entonces entró en la pequeña tienda para ver si, por casualidad, tenían alguna de la especial, de fama mundial, cerveza navidena, "Noche Buena" (que siempre me gusta pronunciar mal como "Buenas Noches" para tratar de conseguir una risa). De todos modos, vi una caja y lo puso sobre el mostrador y preguntó si tenían más y un cajero me dijo que iba a ir a verlo. Me salió a esperar porque yo sabía que iba a ser por lo menos diez o quince minutos. Estas son las mismas personas que buscaban media hora hace unos días y no encontraron nada.
En el exterior, había un equipo de trabajo con un gran camión lleno de barreras de protección y herramientas y demás, así que empezamos a charlar con ellos durante unos minutos. Cuando volví a entrar en la tienda, había ocurrido un milagro y había dos cajas de cerveza que me esperan. La primera caja, la que yo había encontrado, había sido cálido así que asumí el segundo cuadro tampoco había estado en el refrigerador.
Fui afuera y continuó hablando con algunos de los compañeros en el equipo de carretera. Un par de ellos pidieron cerveza y abrió una de las cajas para demostrar que la cerveza estaba aún caliente y no apta para beber. Sin embargo, otro milagro que había ocurrido y la cerveza estaba fría. Supongo que los que habían sido capaces de excavar debe haber estado en el refrigerador!
Por lo que he podido observar, parece ser la costumbre de beber cerveza para el desayuno en México, así que me dio un par de botellas a los becarios en el camión.
Más tarde ese día, me dirigí a Cihuatlan, que está a unos doce millas de distancia y es la ciudad grande por aquí, donde tienes que ir si quieres comprar grandes barriles de 55 galones para poner su basura en o  monedas de chocolate envueltas o cualquiera de varias cosas que no están disponibles en Melaque. Cihuatlan tiene una población de alrededor de 18.000.
En el camino, pasé por el equipo de trabajo y no creo que nada de eso. Pero, volviendo a Melaque, le eché un vistazo más de cerca exactamente lo que estaban haciendo. Ellos fueron la colocación de barreras de protección en una curva que debe ser uno de los menos peligrosos en México, un lento, suave curva, barrido por un camino que esté debidamente calificado. Probablemente hay por lo menos 25.000 más o menos curvas que he visto personalmente con mis propios ojos que estas barreras de protección se podría poner a diez veces mejor uso! (El camino de Las Varas a Tepic, por sólo un ejemplo). Así que saqué mi casa rodante a un lado de la carretera decidido a arreglar las cosas con el supervisor de la tripulación.
El problema resultó ser que recordé que tenía una nevera llena de cerveza! Terminé con el supervisor, cuatro o cinco de sus tripulantes, e incluso la chica en el chaleco naranja que se supone que debe advertir a los vehículos a reducir la velocidad de todos amontonados en el interior de mi camioneta bebiendo cerveza y mirando el mapa y contar historias y riendo la estupidez de los burócratas. Me mostraron, utilizando el mapa, donde que se había iniciado ya dónde iban siguiente, y les mostré (o intentado), donde los peligrosos caminos de montaña se encuentran, pero no parecía muy interesado en eso.
Parecían entender el concepto de lo que en Estados Unidos llaman "seguridad laboral" bastante bien, y sólo puedo decir que si los mexicanos van a empezar a poner barandillas en cada recodo del camino (al parecer a partir de la fácil unos y de ahorro de los proyectos más difíciles para más adelante), entonces estos mozos honrados y ambiciosos han garantizado el empleo por el resto de sus vidas.

No comments:

Post a Comment