Thursday, December 6, 2012


Tuesday morning I went to the place that rents tools and got a weed whacker.  Then I set about doing my part to p-romote the Mexican tourism industry by cleaning up the campground to make it more presentable and attractive.  I include a couple of "before and after" pictures.  I asked the management to provide me with a leaf rake so we can start gathering up some of the trash and litter that gets left behind every weekend when the Mexicans come and have their picnics.  I spent almost fifteen dollars to rent the gasoline powered weed trimmer, but am not willing to buy a rake.  The Mexicans are going to have to start pulling some of their own weight!  I can't do everything for them.
   Maybe today I will drive to Barra de Navidad, the next little neighboring town along the coastline, and see what I can do to help bring them into the twenty first century.
  Anyway, Melaque is pretty warm during the day but the night time is comfortable for sleeping.  I am starting to like it here.  I have made a few new friends.  There is a fellow from Oklahoma, for example, who has a real estate office.  His business mostly consists of arranging weekly or monthly rentals for people who come to Melaque to pass the winter.  He has given me his secret code number so that I can park on the street in front of his business and have Internet access, without having to pay 10 pesos an hour at an "internet cafe."  And then there is "Nico" who makes his living selling coconuts.
I might not be posting any new photographs for a fewdays because I thought it would be a good idea to use my shirt tail and my thumb to wipe the dust and fingerprints off of the viewfinder on my camera, and now the little screen is just a white blank!  But the camera is in the repair shop now and I should have it back in a few days.

Martes por la mañana fui al lugar que alquila herramientas y consiguió un Whacker de malezas (orilladora). Entonces me puse a hacer mi parte para promover la industria del turismo en México mediante la limpieza de la zona de acampada para hacerlo más presentable y atractivo. Incluyo un par de fotos "antes y después". Le pregunté a la gestión de proporcionarme un rastrillo de la hoja para que podamos comenzar a recoger algo de la basura y la basura que se queda detrás de cada fin de semana cuando los mexicanos vienen y tienen sus picnics. Me pasé casi quince dólares para alquilar la orilladora, pero no estoy dispuesto a comprar un rastrillo. Los mexicanos van a tener que empezar a tirar un poco de su propio peso! No puedo hacer todo por ellos.
    Tal vez hoy voy a conducir a Barra de Navidad, el próximo pueblito vecino a lo largo de la costa, y ver lo que puedo hacer para ayudar a ponerlos en el siglo XXI.
   De todos modos, Melaque es bastante cálido durante el día, pero la noche es cómodo para dormir. Estoy empezando a gustar aquí. He hecho algunos nuevos amigos. Hay un compañero de Oklahoma, por ejemplo, que tiene una oficina de bienes raíces. Su negocio consiste en sobre todo la organización de alquileres semanales o mensuales para las personas que vienen a Melaque para pasar el invierno. Él me ha dado su número de código secreto y ya puedo estacionarme en la calle en frente de su negocio y tener acceso a Internet, sin tener que pagar 10 pesos por hora en un "cibercafé". Y luego está "Nico", quien gana su vida como vendedor de cocos.
Yo no podría publicar las fotografías nuevas para unos dias porque pensé que sería una buena idea usar mi camisa y mi cola pulgar para limpiar el polvo y las huellas dactilares fuera del visor de mi cámara, y ahora la pequeña pantalla es sólo una blanco blanco! Pero la cámara se encuentra en el taller de reparaciones y ahora debería tenerlo de vuelta en unos pocos días.
   
   
`  




No comments:

Post a Comment