Thursday, December 13, 2012

De borrachos


I don't know how I should begin this little story, but maybe the first thing we should understand is that there are "mean drunks" and "blackout drunks," or at least that is what I have been told.
   The mean drunks become aggressive and combative and want to pick fights with other people when they ingest too many alcoholic beverages.  The blackout drunks are subject to do any sort of thing--pick fights, dance on tabletops, vomit on your just-cleaned carpet--but the next morning they do not remember any of what has transpired.
Well, one of the fellows here in the trailer park has offended me in a way that can only be excused by one of these two explanations.  The thing that happened is that, last Sunday, I wanted to exit the gate.  The gate has a chain and a lock and is closed at night.  When I approached the gate at about seven-thirty, it had been locked,  but a fellow camper (Ed, a Canadian from Alberta or one of those states where they grow lots of wheat and not very many civilized people) was just entering at the same time that I was leaving.  I asked him, humbly and respectfully, if he would loan me the use of his key for the night and promised that I would return it to him the next morning.  He said, "no."  I was stunned.  I thought that perhaps he had not properly understood my request and so decided to repeat it in such a manner as to explain the lack of a logical reason for refusing.   I said, "but Ed, what is the worst thing that can happen?  I might lose your key, yes.   But yours is not the only key in existence.  I would just need to make a replacement.  But again he said "no."  Donkeys and Canadians are both slow learners, I guess.
   Anyway, I then had to walk around the trailer park and knock on doors until I found someone who was home and who appeared to be one of the more capable and intelligent of the english-speaking Canadiams.  (The first one I asked was one one of the Frenchmen, or "frogs" as we call them, and he offered, not to loan me his key, but to walk up to the gate and open it for me.  I patiently explained to him that that would not be an adequate solution to my dilemma, because of the liklihood that I would be returning later in the night and would be in need of a key at that point).
    But then my new best friend, Harvey, came to my rescue by loaning me a key.  And so it all worked out just fine in the end.  But Ed is "dead to me" now.  If he gives me any more problems I will buy a couple of cans of spray paint and decorate his house for him.

No sé cómo debo comenzar esta pequeña historia, pero tal vez lo primero que debemos entender es que hay los borrachos agresivos y otros borrachos quien no pueden recordar por la manana que hicieron la noche antes, o al menos eso es lo que me han dicho.
   Los borrachos agresivos se vuelven enojados y combativos y quiere peleas con otras personas cuando ingieren bebidas alcohólicas de más. Los otors borrachos  están sujetos a hacer cualquier tipo de cosa - peleas de selección, baile sobre las mesas, vomitar en su alfombra recién limpiado - pero a la mañana siguiente no recuerden nada de lo que ha ocurrido.
Bueno, uno de los compañeros aquí en el parque de casas rodantes me ha ofendido de una manera que sólo puede ser excusada por una de estas dos explicaciones. Lo que pasa es que, el pasado domingo, quería salir del porton. El porton tiene una cadena y un candado y se cierra por la noche. Cuando me acerqué al porton a las siete y media, que había sido cerrada, pero un tipo camper (Ed, un canadiense de Alberta o uno de esos estados donde se cultiva mucho trigo y las personas civilizadas no muchos) se acaba de entrar en la mismo tiempo que me iba. -Le pregunté, con humildad y respeto, si él me prestara el uso de la llave por la noche y prometió que iba a devolverlo a él a la mañana siguiente. Él dijo, "no". Me asuste. Pensé que tal vez él no había entendido bien mi petición y así que decidimos repetirlo de tal manera que para explicar la falta de una razón lógica para negarse. Yo dije, "pero Ed, ¿qué es lo peor que puede pasar? Podría perder su llave, sí. Pero la suya no es la única clave de la existencia. Sólo tendría que hacer un reemplazo. Pero otra vez me dijo" no. "Los burros y los canadienses son lentos para aprender, supongo.
   De todos modos, y luego tuvimos que caminar por el parque de casas rodantes y de puerta en puerta hasta que encontré a alguien que estaba en casa y que parecía ser uno de los más capaces e inteligentes de los Canadienses Inglés de habla hispana. (El primero que le pregunté fue uno de los franceses, o los "sapos" como los llamamos, y se ofreció, no que me prestara su llave, pero para caminar hasta la puerta y abrirla para mí. Me explicó pacientemente lo que no sería una solución adecuada a mi dilema, debido a la verosimilitud que yo iba a regresar más tarde en la noche y se ven en necesidad de una clave en ese punto).
    Pero entonces mi nuevo mejor amigo, Harvey, vino a mi rescate por prestarme una llave. Y así todo salió bien al final. Pero Ed es "muerto para mí" ahora. Si me da más problemas que voy a comprar un par de latas de pintura en aerosol y decorar su casa para él.

No comments:

Post a Comment