Tuesday, February 1, 2011

to esteli

Saturday afternoon I took my new friend Shaun (a fellow from Toronto that I met up with in Monterrico) over to show him the sights of San Antonio Aguascalientes.  On the way out of Antigua we saw Robin crossing the street and Robin invited us over to his house, saying that he would be home in a couple of hours.  So Shaun and I spent a while in the park in San Antonio.  We discovered that it is the custom in that town to set off fireworks during the mass!  Two at the beginning, two in the middle, and two at the end.  (Except sometimes the factory sends an extra one, so they can have three in the middle.)

Anyway, these are the kind that shoot up in the air (from a piece of pipe welded to a base) and then explode quite spectacularly when they are a hundred feet up or so.  We watched the first two rounds and then Shaun had the idea to ask the fireworks guy to let us light the ones at the end of the mass!

Then we went up the hill to Robin's house and sent out for a chicken dinner and sat around and visited all evening.  I promised to take Robin and his family to Monterrico for a weekend when I pass through Antigua again on the way north.

Sunday was a travel day, as I finally left Antigua and headed toward Honduras.  I spent Sunday night in the town of Copan Ruinas, which seems to be the touristic headquarters for all the people who visit the ruins of Copan.  Also, I found out that there is a pretty nice bird sanctuary (Macaw Mountain) that somebody was telling me about, so I might stop in there on my way back, too.

Monday, I got up very early and was in Santa Rita by about seven AM.  The first person I asked knew my wife's uncles and knew where they lived and said they would be up and about already ("those guys get up at four in the morning!").  So I visited for just a short while with Miguel and Chavelo and one of my wife's cousins and family, then drove all day to the other side of Honduras.  San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa, the largest Honduran cities, were a lot easier to navigate than Guatemala City, where I had gotten lost and wandered around for about two hours the day before, trying to find my way out the other side.

I spent Monday night in Danli, where my favorite cigars come from.  There were a bunch of men in the park that I started talking with and I offered to buy one fellow's cap.  He did not want to sell it, but another guy had me follow him home so he could give me a brand-new "ELVIN for President" cap with the tag still on it and everything!  This fellow (Luis) had been a congressman for sixteen years, but he lost his seat last year because of all the political problems that took place in Honduras, so now he is just taking care of his coffee and his cattle.

Tuesday morning I was up early again and crossed into Nicaragua,arriving in Esteli about eleven in the morning.  Noel and Carmen Briones, the nicest hotel owners in town, seem happy to see me and are going to let me connect to the electricity and fill up my water tank.  (I will wait until tomorrow to ask about laundry!)



Sábado por la tarde llevé a mi nuevo amigo Shaun (un tipo de Toronto que se reunió con en Monterrico) a lo largo de mostrarle los lugares de interés de San Antonio Aguascalientes. A la salida de Antigua vimos Robin cruzar la calle y Robin nos invitó a su casa, diciendo que iba a estar en casa en un par de horas. Así que Shaun y yo pasamos un rato en el parque de San Antonio. Hemos descubierto que es la costumbre en esa ciudad para hacer estallar los fuegos artificiales durante la misa! Dos al inicio, dos en el centro, y dos al final. (Excepto a veces la fábrica envía uno extra, para que puedan tener las tres de la media.)
De todos modos, este es el tipo que se disparan en el aire (de un trozo de tubería soldada a una base) y luego explotar muy espectacular cuando se les de un centenar de metros de altura más o menos. Vimos las primeras dos rondas y luego Shaun tuvo la idea de preguntarle a la persona de fuegos artificiales para que nos de luz los que está en la final de la misa!
Luego fuimos a la colina a la casa de Robin y enviados para una cena de pollo y se sentaron alrededor y visitó toda la noche. Le prometí a tomar Robin y su familia a Monterrico para un fin de semana al pasar a través de Antigua de nuevo en el camino hacia el norte.
El domingo fue un día de viaje, ya que finalmente dejó de Antigua y se dirigió hacia Honduras. Pasé la noche del domingo en la ciudad de Copán Ruinas, que parece ser la sede turístico para todas las personas que visitan las ruinas de Copán. Además, me enteré de que hay un santuario de aves muy agradable (Macaw Mountain) que alguien me estaba diciendo acerca de, por lo que podría dejar de allí en mi camino de regreso, también.



Lunes, me levanté muy temprano y estaba en Santa Rita por cerca de siete. La primera persona que pregunté sabía mi wife' los tíos de s y sabían dónde vivieron y dijeron que estarían encima y sobre de ya (' ¡esos individuos se levantan a las cuatro de la mañana! '). Visité tan para apenas un cortocircuito mientras que con Miguel y Chavelo y uno de mi wife' los primos y la familia de s, entonces condujeron todo el dia al otro lado de Honduras. El Sula y Tegucigalpa, las ciudades más grandes de San Pedro del Honduran, eran mucho más fáciles de navegar que Guatemala City, antes de donde había conseguido perdido y vagado alrededor por cerca de dos horas el día, intentando encontrar mi salida el otro lado. Pasé la noche de lunes en Danli, de donde mis cigarros preferidos vienen. Había un manojo de hombres en el parque con el cual comencé a hablar y ofrecí comprar un fellow' casquillo de s. Él no quiso venderlo, pero otro individuo me tenía seguirlo casero así que él podría darme un ' a estrenar; ELVIN para President' ¡casquillo con todavía la etiqueta en ella y todo! Este compañero (Luis) había sido miembro del Congreso por dieciséis años, pero él perdió su asiento el año pasado debido a todos los problemas políticos que ocurrieron en Honduras, tan ahora él apenas está tomando cuidado de su café y de su ganado.






Mañana de martes era para arriba temprano otra vez y cruzado en Nicaragua, llegando en Esteli cerca de once de la mañana. Noel y Carmen Briones, los dueños más agradables del hotel de la ciudad, parecen felices de verme y van a dejarme conectar con la electricidad y llenar el mi tanque de agua. (Esperaré hasta man¢ana para preguntar por lavadero!)

No comments:

Post a Comment