Thursday, February 10, 2011

I am not having such an easy time figuring out how to make my photographs come out to be the right size to include in emails and on my `blog`.
 
Anyway, today is Wednesday. I left Nicaragua this morning and had a pretty easy time crossing the border. Two fellows helped me out by guiding me through the process. Of course they work for `tips`so it cost me a little extra but was worth it to avoid stress and confusion.
 
The Costa Rican money, in my opinion, should be re-valued. Honduran money and Nicaraguan money is measured in units roughly equal to an American five-cent piece. I think I was told that there are twenty-two Nicaraguan `Cordobas`to one american dollar. Well, it turns out that (at least at the border) there were twenty-two Costa Rican `Colones`for each Cordoba! So it takes about four hundred and forty Cordobas to equal a dollar, which makes them worth a little less than a quarter of a cent in regular money. I withdrew 100,000 Cordobas from the bank this morning and I will check on the internet when I get a chance, to see just how much money that is, but I think it must be around two hundred dollars.
 
I am staying overnight at a place called Cañas Castilla, just about fifteen kilometers over the border inside of Costa Rica. It is a farm of 68 hectares (about 179 acres) where the owners, a Swiss couple, have built several cabañas for guests. Some are quite comfortable-looking, with kitchens and living rooms. Then there is one building with three or four single rooms and a shared bath. There are nature trails and they offer tours and a bunch of other stuff. It is very nice, next to a river. I have been hearing howler monkeys all afternoon. They are quite loud and make a roar that sounds like it must be coming from some kind of big cat!
 
Since I got here so early in the morning and have electricity and water, I took advantage of the situation to wash my vehicle and also clean the carpet. They say it is about ten hours from here to the Panama border and I have been told there is a nice place to pass the night about half-way there.
 
A couple of years ago I met a fellow in `Valle de Anton` Panama who had just bought a lot there and was planning to build a house. So maybe I will be able to find him and leave my vehicle there while I fly out to the islands and try to find my friends Ramon and Gladys Herrera.
 
I feel like my time is running short. I only have about seven more weeks before I am supposed to be home. And I guess I will go back the same way I came because I promised Robin to take his family to Monterrico for a weekend and also I have to pick up my original Schwinn wheel rims in Antigua. Then I want to go back through Salvatierra to check and see that Rafael came through his surgery OK and I also found a `chef hat` that I want to give to Carlos at the bakery and of course visit Juan Jose and Ernesto again in Zacatecas. Oh, and I night stop in Tlalpujahua again and buy some more Christmas-tree ornaments. They make great gifts!
 
So I guess I will not get to Oaxaca until next year. And of course I still have not checked the country of El Salvador off my list!

Next day--well, I got up early and made it all the way through Costa Rica.  I am about 30 miles from the border and will cross into Panama tomorrow.
The roads in Nicaragua and Costa Rica are pretty good.  They do not have all those stupid speed bumps (topes) like in Mexico.


No estoy teniendo un momento tan fácil de averiguar cómo hacer que mis fotografías salen a ser del tamaño adecuado para incluir en mensajes de correo electrónico y en el mío »blog».

De todos modos, hoy es miércoles. Salí de Nicaragua esta mañana y lo pasamos muy fácil cruzar la frontera. Dos compañeros me ayudaron a cabo por guiarme en el proceso. Por supuesto, para las que trabajan »consejos» por lo que me costó un poco más, pero valió la pena para evitar el estrés y confusión.

El dinero de Costa Rica, en mi opinión, debe ser re-valorada. dinero el dinero de Honduras y Nicaragua se mide en unidades más o menos igual a una pieza de América de cinco centavos. Creo que me dijeron que hay veintidós córdobas nicaragüenses `` a un dólar americano. Bueno, resulta que (al menos en la frontera) había veintidós colones de Costa Rica »» para cada uno de Córdoba! Por lo tanto, tarda unos cuatrocientos cuarenta córdobas a la igualdad de un dólar, lo que les hacen merecedor de un poco menos de un cuarto de centavo en el precio regular. Me retiré 100,000 córdobas del banco esta mañana y voy a comprobar en Internet, cuando tengo la oportunidad, para ver cuánto dinero es eso, pero creo que debe ser alrededor de dos cientos de dólares.

Me quedo toda la noche en un lugar llamado Cañas Castilla, a sólo unos quince kilómetros por el interior frontera de Costa Rica. Es una finca de 68 hectáreas (unos 179 acres) donde los propietarios, una pareja suiza, han construido varias cabañas para los huéspedes. Algunas son muy cómodos de futuro, con cocina y salas de estar. Entonces hay un edificio con tres o cuatro habitaciones individuales y un baño compartido. Hay senderos naturales y que ofrecen tours y un montón de otras cosas. Es muy agradable, al lado de un río. He estado escuchando los monos aulladores toda la tarde. Son muy fuertes y hacen un ruido que suena como tiene que venir de algún tipo de gato grande!

Desde que llegué aquí tan temprano en la mañana y tienen electricidad y agua, me aproveché de la situación para lavar mi vehículo y limpiar la alfombra. Dicen que es unas diez horas de aquí a la frontera con Panamá y me han dicho que es un buen lugar para pasar la noche cerca de la mitad de camino allí.

Un par de años me encontré con un compañero en "Valle de Antón» Panamá que acababa de comprar mucho allí y tenía la intención de construir una casa. Así que tal vez voy a ser capaz de encontrarlo y dejar mi vehículo allí, mientras que volar a las islas y tratar de encontrar a mis amigos Ramón y Gladys Herrera.

Siento que mi tiempo se está acabando. Sólo tengo unas siete semanas más antes de que se supone que debo estar en casa. Y creo que voy a volver la misma manera que vino porque le prometí a Robin a llevar a su familia a Monterrico para un fin de semana y también tengo que recoger mis llantas originales ruedas Schwinn en Antigua. Entonces quiero volver a pasar por Salvatierra para comprobar y ver que Rafael llegó a través de su cirugía en Aceptar y también encontré un sombrero de chef `que quiero dar a Carlos en la panadería y por supuesto visitar Jose Juan y Ernesto de nuevo en Zacatecas. Ah, y me detengo noche en Tlalpujahua nuevo y comprar algunos adornos más de árboles de Navidad. Hacen los grandes regalos!

Así que supongo que no voy a entrar a Oaxaca hasta el próximo año. Y, por supuesto, todavía no he comprobado el país de El Salvador de mi lista!


Al día siguiente - así, me levanté temprano y lo hizo todo el camino a través de Costa Rica. Estoy a unos 30 kilómetros de la frontera y cruzar a Panamá mañana.
Los caminos en Nicaragua y Costa Rica son bastante buenos. Ellos no tienen todos los reductores de velocidad estúpida (topes) como en México.

No comments:

Post a Comment