Thursday, January 10, 2013


Wednesday I drove from Salvatierra to Tlalpujahua, and stopped on the way to visit the butterfly sanctuary.  I had forgotten how far you have to walk from the front gate to where the butterflies are.  It is about four kilometers, more than two miles, and is uphill all the way.
   I just wanted to see if there are more of them in January than there were in November.  It just seemed about the same.  They are not very active, either.  The Monarchs, for the most part, just hang in the branches and I guess they are hibernating or something.  The Mexicans always have an excuse for why the butterflies are not doing much of anything.  They blame the cloudy skies or the cold weather.
   It is quite a hike up the mountain.  Visitors must walk with a guide, ostensibly to protect the environment, but really I suspect it is so that the local population can make some money in the form of tips.  My guide was a little old lady about 80 years old.  I had my doubts that she would be vigorous enough to make the climb without slowing me down, but it turned out that I was sweating and breathing hard and she was more like Walter Huston in "The Treasure of The Sierra Madre," while I took the Humphrey Bogart role, huffing and puffing and stopping to rest every five hundred yards or so.
    Here is a picture of a butterfly and one of me at the "Lookout Point  (mirador)",  also a picture of the little shrine that has been erected in memory of those foolish tourists (like me) who refused to rent horses and subsequently died from heart attacks.  The picture of the trees is not very exciting, but you can see that the branches are so weighted with butterflies that they bend towards the ground.  And finally a picture of my good friend Bricio Pignon, who owns a little store here in Tlalpujahua and is permitting me to park my house on the street in front of his place of business and connect to the electricity.
   From here to San Cristobal de las Casas will be about another thousand kilometers, or six hundred miles.  If I take toll roads, it will cost me almost two hundred dollars, so I will try to avoid the tolls.  It will undoubtedly take longer and I will have to travel farther and by a less direct route,  but I have plenty of time to spare and am trying to be prudent with my pesos!


El miércoles conduci de Salvatierra a Tlalpujahua y dejó en el camino para visitar el Santuario de la mariposa. Me había olvidado Cuánto tienes que caminar desde la puerta de entrada a donde están las mariposas. Es cerca de cuatro kilómetros, más de dos millas y es cuesta arriba todo el camino.
   Quería ver si hay más de ellos en enero que en noviembre. Era  el mismo. No son muy activas, tampoco. Las Monarcas mariposas, en su mayor parte, sólo colgar en las ramas y supongo que están hibernando o algo. Los mexicanos siempre tienen una excusa de por qué las mariposas no están haciendo mucho de nada. Culpan a los cielos nublados o el frío.
   Es una caminata por la montaña. Los visitantes deben caminar con un guía, ostensiblemente para proteger el medio ambiente, pero realmente sospecho que es para que la población local puede hacer algo de dinero en forma de propinas. Mi guía era una viejita de 80 años de edad, mas o menos. Tuve mis dudas de que ella sería lo suficientemente vigorosa para hacer la subida sin frenar me hacia abajo, pero resultó que yo estaba sudando y respirando fuerte y ella era más como Walter Huston en "El tesoro de la Sierra Madre," mientras que tomé el parte  de Humphrey Bogart, resoplando y parando a descansar cada quinientos metros o menos.
   Aquí está una foto de una mariposa y uno de mí en el "Mirador (mirador)", también una foto del pequeña capilla que se ha erigido en memoria de aquellos turistas tontos (como yo) que se negaron a alquilar caballos y posteriormente murieron de ataques al corazón. La imagen de los árboles no es muy emocionante, pero se puede ver que las ramas son tan ponderadas con mariposas que se doblan hacia el suelo. Y finalmente una foto de mi buen amigo Bricio Pignon, que posee un poco almacenar aquí en Tlalpujahua y permite estacionar mi casa en la calle frente a su lugar de trabajo y conectar a la electricidad.




   De aquí a San Cristóbal de las Casas será sobre otro mil de kilómetros o millas de seiscientos. Si tomo carreteras de peaje, se me costó casi doscientos dólares, por lo que voy a intentar evitar los peajes. Sin duda llevará más tiempo y tendré que viajar más lejos y por una ruta menos directa, pero tengo un montón de tiempo libre y estoy tratando de ser prudente con mis pesos!

No comments:

Post a Comment