Sunday, January 6, 2013


I believe I may have detected yet another area in which the ignorant, backwards Mexicans may be able to benefit from my expertise and superior knowledge of agricultural techniques.  I have always had the idea (and I invite comment...please correct me if I am wrong) that strawberries, once picked, ripen no further.  Therefore, the best way to pick the strawberries is to select the ones that are fully ripe.  If the top third or quarter of the berry, the part towards the stem, is still a pale white color, the strawberry is not ready for harvest.  This is what I was always taught, and I know from experience that the unripe white part of the strawberry is not yet sweet and not yet ready to consume, at least not without a whole lot of sugar added to it!
   But take a look at this picture!  If I am correct, the Mexicans have a lot to learn when it comes to picking strawberries.  I had to waste and throw in the garbage, a good twenty percent of my purchase.  These strawberries cost me twenty pesos, almost a dollar and sixty cents in hard earned American money, and later, upon more critical inspection, it turned out that I had been cheated by yet another Mexican swindler!
   I had a full day.  Up at about five in the morning, showered, coffee consumed, settled up at the RV Park, and on the road at about seven, shortly after daybreak.  I drove as far as Zamora, arriving before noon, and spent some time searching for a fellow I met three years ago at the Cervantino Festival in Guanajuato.  The onbly thing I remembered about him was that he had a truck camper and was the owner of a gymnasium, the "Olimpico" or "Olimpia' or something like that.  With a bit of my detective skills and interrogation techniques, I was able to locate his place of business.  It was closed.  But I wrote down some stuff on the back of one of my "tarjetas de presentacion" (business cards in English--although I do not have a business, I find that these 'cards of introduction' can serve very well as conversation starters, especially among the easily-impressed Mexicans, who seem to think that anybody with thirty dollars to print up a thousand cards must certainly be a man of some substance).
   Anyway, after all that I continued on to Patzcuaro, which, although slightly out of my way as I continue towards Guatemala, certainly seems to me to be worthy of a return visit.  I can't wait to see how the plaza turned out!  It was undergoing restoration the first time I was here, three years ago.
   Here is another photo of some planters, the type of which I plan to buy one of these years.  The price for a pair of them, today on first inquiry, seemed to be seventy pesos, although with a bit of shopping around and some tough negotiation, I believe they can be had for fifty.
   I took a whole lot of nice photos of the city of Zamora, including their lovely plaza, a fountain that (miracle of miracles) actually worked, a couple of nice churches, and three of four of the vendors who seem to inhabit evey streetcorner selling potatoes (potatoes!)  The potatoes are boiled (I assume...they are certainly not baked or fried) and then sliced and placed in small plastic bags, where they are drenched in lime juice and heavily sprinkled with chili powder (Mexico!), and presented to the customer with a plastic fork.  This seems to be the snack food of choice for Zamorans.  (The average Zamoran appears to be slightly more chubby than Mexicans in general.)  Anyway, I tried it and I liked it.  Maybe I will see if I can replicate this delicacy back home in Michigan.
   Well, nothing else of note took place today.

Creo que puedo han detectado otro ámbito en el que el ignorantes, atrasados  mexicanos pueden beneficiarse de mi experiencia y conocimiento superior de técnicas agrícolas. Siempre he tenido la idea (y le invito a comentar... por favor corrígeme si estoy equivocado) que fresas, una vez recogidos, maduran no más. Por lo tanto, es la mejor manera de escoger las fresas seleccionar a los que llevan  completamente madura. Si la parte superior de tercer o cuarto de la baya, la parte hacia la madre, sigue siendo un color blanco pálido, la fresa no está lista para la cosecha. Esto es lo que me enseñaron siempre, y sé por experiencia que la parte de  blanco de la fresa no es sin embargo dulce y aún no está listo para consumir, al menos no sin un montón de azúcar añadido!
    Pero echar un vistazo a esta imagen! Si me equivoco, los mexicanos tienen mucho que aprender cuando se trata de recoger fresas. Tuve que perder y tirar a la basura, un buen 20% de mi compra. Estas fresas me costó veinte pesos, casi un dólar y 60 centavos en dinero estadounidense, y más tarde, después de una inspección más crítica, resultó que yo había sido engañado por otro estafador mexicano!
    Tuve un día completo. A las cinco de la mañana, me bane, café consumidas, se instaló en el Parque de RV y en el camino a siete, poco después del amanecer. Condujo hasta Zamora, llegando antes del mediodía y pasó algún tiempo buscando un compañero que conocí a tres años en el Cervantino Festival en Guanajuato. Lo onbly, me acordé de él era que había un camoer de carro y era el dueño de un gimnasio, el "Olímpico" o "Olimpia' o algo por el estilo. Con un poco de mis habilidades de detective y técnicas de interrogatorio, fui capaz de localizar su lugar de trabajo. Fue cerrado. Pero escribí abajo algunas cosas en la parte posterior de uno de mi "tarjetas de presentacion" (tarjetas de presentación en inglés--aunque no tengo un negocio, me parece que estas 'tarjetas de presentación' pueden servir muy bien como entrantes de conversación, especialmente entre los mexicanos fácilmente impresionado, que parecen pensar que cualquiera con treinta dólares para imprimir hasta un montón de tarjetas ciertamente debe ser un hombre de alguna sustancia).
   De todos modos, después de todo lo que continué en Pátzcuaro, que, aunque ligeramente fuera de mi camino como continuar hacia Guatemala, ciertamente me parece digna de una visita de vuelta. No puedo esperar para ver cómo resultó la plaza! Fue en la restauración la primera vez que estuve aquí, hace tres años.
   Aquí está otra foto de algunas macetas, el tipo que tengo pensado comprar uno de estos años. El precio de un par de ellos, hoy en la primera consulta, parecía que setenta pesos, aunque con un poco de compras y algunas negociaciones difíciles, creo que tenían para cincuenta.
Tomé un montón de bonitas fotos de la ciudad de Zamora, incluyendo su hermosa plaza, una fuente que (milagro de milagros) efectivamente trabajadas, un par de iglesias agradables y tres de cuatro de los vendedores que parecen habitan evey streetcorner venta de papas (patatas)! Se hierven las patatas (supongo... ciertamente no son al horno o frito) y luego en rodajas y colocados en pequeñas bolsas de plástico, donde son empapados en jugo de limón y fuertemente salpicados de chili en polvo (México!) y presenta al cliente con un tenedor de plástico. Este parece ser el aperitivo de elección para Zamorans. (El Zamoran promedio parece ser un poco más gordita que los mexicanos en general). De todos modos, lo probé y me gustó. Tal vez voy a ver si puedo replicar este manjar en Michigan.
Bien, nada de nota tuvo lugar hoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment