Thursday, January 17, 2013


Today for some reason my wireless internet connection is not working, so as I write this I am waiting my turn at the Movistar Centro de Attencion a Clientes to see if they can fix it.  I have the idea that the problem might be that I have not paid them any money for a couple of months, but I am not sure.  If that is the case, I may decide not to renew my subscription because I plan to be in Guatemala in ten days or so.
  As long as I am downtown, I guess I will wander around seeking museums or other points of touristic interest.

Later---as I waited at the cell phone place, I examined my documents and was able to determine that the reason my wireless thing is not working is because I haven't  paid, so from now until I get to Guatemala, my internet access is going to be intermittent.
   I have not given up on that pipe fitting.  I have printed out a picture of a vise and an "easy out" and I have my eye on a place about five blocks from here where I am going to ask for help.  Two or three days ago I was in the town center and I found a pretty complete-looking machine shop.  I had the part with me and explained what I wanted and said I could offer two or three pesos, but the guy I talked to wanted 50 pesos.  This is thievery, pure and simple thievery!  The part itself, brand-new, only costs 15 pesos.  Some of these Mexicans seem to have the idea that people from the United States are very stupid and gullible.
   Anyway, Oaxaca is a very nice city.  There are no skyscrapers here.  A taxi driver pointed at a building that is six stories tall and said that it was probably the tallest building in town.
   I visited for a while with a fellow who runs a tire repair shop, but what he really likes to do in his spare time is to manufacture the giant puppet heads that are used in parades and celebrations.  He called them "monos" or monkeys.  Speaking of monkeys, the organ grinder says that the people in charge of regulating sidewalk businesses won't let him have a monkey because they are afraid that maybe the monkey would bite someone or poop on the sidewalk.
   Thurday, 11 AM--I finally found a machine shop to take the broken nipple out of the fitting.  Then they ran a tap into it so the threads are nice and clean.  Picture included.



Hoy por alguna razón mi conexión inalámbrica a internet no funciona, así que mientras escribo esto estoy esperando mi turno en el Movistar Centro de Attencion a Clientes para ver si puede arreglarlo. Tengo la idea de que el problema puede ser que no pagué ellos dinero para un par de meses, pero no estoy seguro. Si es el caso, yo puedo decidir no renovar mi suscripción porque planeo estar en Guatemala en diez días, mas o menos.
Mientras estoy en el centro, supongo que se vagan buscando museos u otros lugares de interés turístico.

Más tarde---como esperé en el lugar del teléfono celular, examinado mis documentos y pudo determinar que la razón mi inalámbrica no funciona es porque no pague, entonces desde ahora hasta que llego a Guatemala, mi acceso a internet va a ser intermitente.

No he renunciado en esa instalación de tuberías. He impreso una foto de un tornillo de banco y un "fuera facil" y tengo mis ojos en un lugar cerca de cinco cuadras de aquí donde voy a pedir ayuda. Hace dos o tres días estaba en el centro de la ciudad y encontré una tienda de máquina de aspecto bastante completa. Tuve la parte conmigo y explicó lo que quería y dijo que podría ofrecer a dos o tres pesos, pero el chico que hablé con me pido 50 pesos. Se trata de robo, ladronismo, puro y simple! La pieza misma, a estrenar, sólo los costos de 15 pesos. Algunos de estos mexicanos parecen tener la idea de que las personas de los Estados Unidos son muy estúpidos e ingenuos.

Oaxaca es una ciudad muy bonita. No hay ningún rascacielos aquí. Un taxista que apunta a un edificio que es de seis pisos de altura y dijo que era probablemente el edificio más alto de la ciudad.






Visité un rato con un compañero que dirige un taller de reparación de llantas, pero lo que realmente le gusta hacer en su tiempo libre es para la fabricación de las cabezas de marionetas gigantes que se utilizan en desfiles y Fiestas. Llamó "monos" . Hablando de monos, la organ grinder dice que la gente encargada de regular las empresas de la acera no le permitirá tener un mono porque tienen miedos de que tal vez el mono podría morder a alguien o hacer poopoo en la acera.
Jueves, 11--finalmente encontré una tienda de máquina a tomar el pezón roto de la conexión. Luego corrieron un grifo en ella por lo que las roscas son agradable y limpio. Imagen incluido.



1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised to learn that they won't let him have a Monkey....even in a country less "advanced" than the U.S. they sound like they have way too much governmente regulation and rely way to little on common sense and letting people use their own judgement.

    ReplyDelete