Monday, March 7, 2011

teotihuacan

Sunday I decided to visit Teotihuacan, the big Aztec site near Mexico City, since I was only a couple of hours away and I do not know when or if I will be that close again.  There are two great big pyramids but the rest of it is kind of boring, not much variety, although there is a small museum with some nice pieces.  Admission is only about four dollars but parking costs about three and a half.  The site itself is mostly centered around the Avenue of the Dead, which is a broad street about two miles long with ceremonial structures on either side, as well as buildings that served as residences for the top society people like priests and politicians and so forth.  There is no shade.

The Mexican tourists like to climb up to the top of the Sun Pyramid and lay their hands on the stones at the very top-center to try and absorb good vibrations or some sort of mystical energy.  I tried it, too, but my legs are still a little sore today from all the climbing.

The afternoon turned into a frustrating experience as I drove for about six hours and only got about fifty miles away from Mexico City.  The roads are not good and the lack of signs is very confusing.  It seemed that every time I looked up, I saw a sign telling me I was headed straight for Mexico City, even though I was doing my best to go the opposite direction.

Then I hit a big bump in the road and my bicycle flew off of the bike rack and the handlebars got bent and the fenders are even more dented than they were before, but at least it did not smash into the people in the Volkswagen behind me.  Also, my refrigerator seems to have stopped working for some reason and the vacuum cleaner motor burned out about ten days ago so the inside of the house is starting to look pretty filthy. It might be a good thing I am on my way home!

Domingo decidí visitar Teotihuacan, el gran sitio azteca, cerca de la Ciudad de México, desde que tenía sólo un par de horas y no sé cuándo ni si voy a estar tan cerca otra vez. Hay dos grandes pirámides grandes, pero el resto es un poco aburrido, no mucha variedad, aunque hay un pequeño museo con algunas piezas agradable. La entrada es solamente cerca de cuatro dólares, pero el estacionamiento cuesta alrededor de tres y medio. El sitio en sí se centra fundamentalmente en la Avenida de los Muertos, que es una calle ancha cerca de dos millas de largo con estructuras ceremoniales en ambos lados, así como los edificios que sirvieron como residencias para la gente de la sociedad de la talla de los sacerdotes y los políticos, etc. No hay sombra.


Los turistas mexicanos como para subir a la cima de la Pirámide del Sol y ponen sus manos sobre las piedras en la parte superior del centro para tratar de absorber las vibraciones buenas o algún tipo de energía mística. Lo he probado, también, pero mis piernas todavía están hoy un poco de dolor de todo el ascenso.


La tarde se convirtió en una experiencia frustrante mientras conducía por cerca de seis horas y sólo tiene unas cincuenta millas de distancia de la Ciudad de México. Las carreteras no son buenas y la falta de signos es muy confuso. Parecía que cada vez que me miró, vi un cartel que me dice que se dirigió directamente hacia la ciudad de México, a pesar de que yo estaba haciendo mi mejor esfuerzo para ir en la dirección opuesta.


Entonces llegué a un gran bache en el camino y mi bicicleta voló de los estantes para bicicleta y el manillar se dobla y las defensas son aún más mella de lo que eran antes, pero al menos no estrellarse contra las personas en el Volkswagen detrás de mí . Además, mi nevera parece haber dejado de funcionar por algún motivo y el motor de la aspiradora quemado hace unos diez días para que el interior de la casa empieza a parecer bastante sucia. Podría ser una buena cosa que estoy en mi camino a casa!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment