Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Parking Story

Today I will tell the story of how I came to be a wandering nomad, almost homeless, wandering the streets of Antigua by day and by night.

It all started when, after having been parked in front of my friend's five-star luxury hotel for about ten days, I returned from my morning stroll only to be informed by the receptionist that the police had been making inquiries and wished to speak with me.  "He is out on the corner, waiting for you."  But when I went to look, there was no one there.

Later, after having completed another errand and returned to the hotel, I was told the police had been by a second time looking for me.  There are a lot of police here, though, including tourist police, regular municipal police, federal (I would assume), and special parking and traffic officers.  So I did not pay much attention, since I thought "well, sooner or later they will wait for me by my motorhome, instead of just dropping vague hints."

The third time, I was handed a note with a name, a phone number, and an address.  "They want you to park your vehicle at that location."

I decided the first thing to do, after changing my clothes in an attempt at making a respectable appearance,  would be to go to the indicated address on foot in order to see what I could find out before relinquishing my choice parking spot.  The location turned out to be "down at the end of Lonely Street"  (see Elvis Presley, 'Heartbreak Hotel'),  and quite a distance from the center of things.  I did not like it from the start.  It was a walled compound with a few junked cars scattered around and a small office with a sign indicating it was some kind of adjunct Tourist Police operation.

I spoke to the fellow at the gate and explained where I'd been parked the past few days, that the hotel was owned by a friend of mine and that they were supplying me with water, electricity, and laundry service (as well as toast and coffee in the mornings).  Being a reasonabe sort, he agreed that it sounded like a pretty sweet deal.  But that is when he took me in to speak with his superior and all the trouble began.

I showed the note, a phone call was made, and I found myself speaking to someone whose name I do not think I was ever given.  His English was passably good. He started out by telling me that Antigua's "city fathers"  (a term I had not heard since we all used to be wearing those high-button shoes) thought that I might be parked a little too close to the Central Park.  I respectfully disagreed and told him that I was quite satisfied with my current location.

(At this point, I would interject that I am pretty darn sure that I was not breaking any laws by being parked in front of the hotel.  The law, as I understand it, even in Latin American countries, is written down and codified in black and white rather than being invented on the spot.  So, unless there had been a special session of the city council the night before and a new law passed, I felt I was on pretty solid ground since I'd been parked in the same place for at least ten days and had been buying my parking permit and putting it on my dashboard each morning for the duration.)

At this point, the guy I was talking to pulled something out of his hat that was such an outrageous and laughable lie that I will never forget it the rest of my life.  He said "Well, there is a second reason, sir, that we would like you to move and that is because we are concerned that the excessive weight of your vehicle cound do damage to the drainage system." (!)

I replied "But, gosh, I am pretty sure I saw a beer truck with about eighty million bottles of beer on it drive down that same street yesterday, and that fully-loaded beer truck must weigh about five times as much as my motorhome, don't you think?"

Then he said that it would be a lot safer for me in the police compound and I agreed that it certainly did appear to be a secure area, with walls and a big gate.  I said "I bet you close that gate at night, don't you?"  and he said "Yes, sir, we do.  It is very safe in here at night!"

And I asked "Well, just what time of night do you lock that big gate?"  and he said "Ten o'clock."

Then I said "I guess you must be planning on giving me a key, then, aren't you, because I am a little too old for a ten o'clock curfew.  Even my wife doesn't have that much power over me."       "Umm, well, pues, fijese, uh, uh, well no, we are not going to give you a key."

The negotiations stalled here.  I told him I would move, but under no circumstances was I going to move into the compound.  So now I spend daylight hours one place and night-time hours in a variety of locations.

In the next installment I will reveal the story behind the story--that is to say, the REAL reason they wanted me to move, which became clear to me a few days later.



Hoy voy a contar la historia de cómo llegué a ser un nómada errante, casi sin hogar, vagando por las calles de Antigua de día y de noche.
Todo comenzó cuando, después de haber estado estacionado frente al hotel de mi amigo de lujo de cinco estrellas durante unos diez días, volví de mi paseo matutino sólo para ser informado por la recepcionista que la policía había estado haciendo preguntas y quería hablar conmigo . 'Él está en la esquina, esperando por ti. " Pero cuando fui a buscar, no había nadie allí.
Más tarde, después de haber completado otra misión y regresó al hotel, me dijeron que la policía había sido por segunda vez a buscarme. Hay un montón de policías aquí, sin embargo, como la policía turística, regulares de la policía municipal, aparcamiento federal (Supongo), y especiales y agentes de tráfico. Así que no le presté mucha atención, ya que pensé 'bueno, tarde o temprano va a esperar para mí por mi casa rodante, en vez de dejar caer insinuaciones vagas.

La tercera vez, me entregaron una nota con un nombre, un número de teléfono y una dirección. "Ellos quieren que estacione su vehículo en ese lugar."
Decidí que la primera cosa a hacer, después de cambiar mi ropa en un intento de aportar una apariencia respetable, sería ir a la dirección indicada a pie con el fin de ver qué podía averiguar antes de renunciar a mi plaza de aparcamiento elección. El lugar resultó ser 'abajo al final de Lonely Street "(ver a Elvis Presley,' Heartbreak Hotel '), y bastante lejos del centro de las cosas. Yo no le gustó desde el principio. Era un recinto amurallado con algunos coches tirados y esparcidos alrededor y una pequeña oficina con un letrero que indica que era una especie de complemento de Operación Turística de Policía.
Hablé con los compañeros en la puerta y le explicó donde había sido estacionado en los últimos días, que el hotel era propiedad de un amigo mío y que me estaban suministrando con agua, electricidad y servicio de lavandería (así como brindar y café en las mañanas). Siendo una especie reasonabe, convino en que sonaba como un acuerdo muy dulce. Pero eso es cuando me llevó a hablar con su superior y todos los problemas comenzaron.


 Le mostré la nota, una llamada telefónica fue hecha, y me encontré hablando con alguien cuyo nombre no creo que se me dio nunca. Su Inglés fue pasablemente bien. Comenzó diciéndome que Antigua y Barbuda 'padres de la ciudad' (un término que no había oído desde que acostumbrados a estar usando los zapatos de botón) pensó que yo podría estar estacionado un poco demasiado cerca del Parque Central. Con todo respeto, no estuvo de acuerdo y le dijo que estaba muy satisfecho con mi posición actual.
(En este punto, me gustaría intercalar que soy bastante maldito seguro de que no estaba violando ninguna ley al estar estacionado en frente del hotel. La ley, como yo lo entiendo, incluso en países de América Latina, está escrito y codificado en blanco y negro en lugar de ser inventado en el acto. Por lo tanto, a menos que hubiera habido una sesión especial del consejo de la ciudad la noche anterior y aprobó una nueva ley, sentí que estaba en el suelo bastante sólido desde que había sido estacionado en el mismo lugar para al menos diez días y había estado comprando mi permiso de estacionamiento y ponerlo en mi escritorio cada mañana por la duración.)
En este punto, el chico que estaba hablando con algo sacó de su sombrero que era una mentira escandalosa y ridícula que nunca voy a olvidar el resto de mi vida. Él dijo: "Bueno, hay una segunda razón, señor, que nos gustaría que usted se mueva y eso es porque nos preocupa que el excesivo peso de su vehículo Cound hacer daño al sistema de drenaje. (!)


Yo le respondí "Pero, Dios mío, estoy bastante seguro de que vio un camión de cerveza con alrededor de ochenta millones de botellas de cerveza en la unidad por la misma calle ayer, y el camión de cerveza completamente cargada debe pesar alrededor de cinco veces más que mi casa rodante, ¿no te parece? "
Luego dijo que sería mucho más seguro para mí en el complejo policial y yo acordamos que ciertamente parecía ser una zona segura, con paredes y una puerta grande. Le dije 'apuesto a que cierre esa puerta por la noche, ¿no? " y él dijo 'Sí, señor, lo que hacemos. Es muy seguro aquí en la noche! '
Y yo pregunté: "Bueno, a qué hora de la noche no se bloquea esa puerta grande? ' y él dijo 'Diez en punto. "
Entonces dije: "Supongo que debe ser pensando en darme una clave, entonces, ¿no es así, porque soy demasiado viejo para un diez toque de queda. Incluso mi esposa no tiene tanto poder sobre mí. " "Umm, bueno, pués, fijese, eh, eh, bueno no, no vamos a darle una clave.
El estancamiento de las negociaciones aquí. Le dije que se mueven, pero en ningún caso iba a entrar en el recinto. Así que ahora me paso las horas del día un lugar y horas de la noche en una variedad de ubicaciones.
En la próxima entrega voy a revelar la historia detrás de la historia - es decir, la verdadera razón que me quería mover, que me quedó claro a los pocos días.



Google Translate for my:SearchesVideosEmailPhoneChatBusiness

No comments:

Post a Comment