Monday, January 24, 2011

johnny's place

I'm now in Monterrico (or Monte Rico....they can't really decide how to spell it) on Guatemala's south coast.  It is a beach town.  I have not looked over the whole town yet, but it seems to have just a couple of paved streets and a whole bunch of streets just made out of sand.  The sand here is not exactly pitch-black but it is quite dark because it includes a lot of volcanic material.

There are a lot of restaurants but surprisingly few stores selling flip-flops and beach balls and so forth.  It took me about three hours to get here from Antigua.  People had told me that two hours would do it, but my map didn't show the coast road so I went through the middle of Escuintla when I didn't really have to, only to re-join the good highway that I had already been on.  Then the last twenty miles or so where on a road that was described to me as a superhighway (autopista), but turned out to be barely wide enough to be called a two lane road, with no shoulders of course.

I'm parked in front of a hotel called "Johnny's Place" and connected up to the electricity.  I negotiated a camping fee of 25 quetzales per night (about $3.25), but had to promise not to use my air conditioning.  It is pretty hot here during the day.  I walked around the town a little bit at about eight this morning and was sweating.  But the night time seems fairly comfortable and I have my roof vent fan to create some air circulation.  I paid the hotel owner for three nights, so will be here until at least Wednesday morning. 
My camera battery is charging up now and I will hope to take some pictures later to include.


Ahora estoy en Monterrico (o Monte Rico .... en realidad no pueden decidir cómo se escribe) en la costa sur de Guatemala. Es un pueblo de playa. No he mirado en toda la ciudad todavía, pero parece que sólo un par de calles pavimentadas y un montón de calles solo hecho de arena. La arena no es exactamente negro como la pez, pero es bastante oscuro, ya que incluye una gran cantidad de material volcánico.
Hay un montón de restaurantes, pero es sorprendente que algunas tiendas de venta de flip-flops y pelotas de playa, etc. Me tomó cerca de tres horas para llegar desde Antigua. La gente me había dicho que dos horas lo haría, pero mi mapa no mostró el camino de la costa, así que fui por el centro de Escuintla, cuando en realidad no tiene que hacerlo, sólo para volver a unirse a la buena carretera que ya había estado en. Luego de los últimos veinte millas más o menos donde en un camino que me fue descrito como una autopista (autopista), pero resultó ser apenas lo suficientemente amplia como para ser llamado un camino de dos carriles, sin hombros, por supuesto.
Estoy estacionado frente a un hotel llamado "Johnny's Place 'y conectado a la electricidad. Yo negociado una tarifa de camping de 25 quetzales por noche (unos US $ 3.25), pero tuvo que prometer no usar el aire acondicionado. Es bastante caliente aquí durante el día. Caminé por la ciudad un poco a las ocho de esta mañana y estaba sudando. Pero la noche parece bastante cómodo y tengo mi techo de ventilación del ventilador para crear una cierta circulación de aire. He pagado el hotel por tres noches, así estará aquí por lo menos hasta mañana miércoles.Mi batería de la cámara se está cargando hasta ahora y voy a esperar para tomar algunas fotos más adelante para incluir.

1 comment:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DON, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

    Thought I'd tune in today, at least long enough to see how you spent your birthday. Sounds like you could've splurged a bit and enjoyed some A/c to me.

    I hope to spend my birthday in the hospital--baby Zeek hasn't arrived yet, as long as he's held off this long, I hope he decides to hold off until Sunday.

    So, did you get your camera charged, or are all those pictures from somewhere else?--guess I'll have to read a previous post to find out where Johnny's place is.

    ReplyDelete