Sunday, January 2, 2011

Guatemalan New Year










I have not written anything for a week, but it is not because I have been kidnapped or anything.  There just seems to be a lot of stuff going on right now, especially between Chrismas and New Year's.

A couple of days ago I drove over to San Antonio Aguascalientes (the little town with the big name) where my friend Robin lives.  There was quite a difference between San Antonio AC and Antigua.  Over there, there were just a few tourists that would arrive now and then in little buses and wander through the textile market before heading back to La Antigua.  At twelve noon some guy came out to the middle of the square and set up a fireworks deal--one of those that it a tube that sets on the ground and shoots rounds straight up in the sky where they explode.  Then, wandering around town, I noticed some of the stores had tables of fireworks set up in the street out in front of the stores.  So I bought a few, including some really big ones that almost look like sticks of dynamite!

I fell into conversation with one young fellow who has just half a year left to complete high school.  He had seen that I was driving the RV and remarked on it, so I invited him in to see the interior, and I think he was very impressed that I was able to just reach into the refrigerator and pour him a cold glass of Coca-Cola.  So he invited me back to his house and I met his father and two little cousins and we all had a nice visit for a few minutes.  (They own a bread bakery and have a very large oven righjt in their house.  Then the young man rides around on his motorcycle with a big basket on the back, delivering the bread to retail stores.)

Later on a young indigenous lady who had been working in the textile market invited me to come home with her.  She was on her way home to eat lunch.  So I met her father and grandmother and husband and her two kids and also a bunch of neighbor children.  It was a good thing I had filled my pocket with bubble gum before starting out, because there were a lot of them!

New Years Eve I finally got to see them light one of those big wooden frames loaded up with fireworks that they strap on their backs and walk around with.  They do that here just like in Mexico.

Well, I will send some pictures now.

No he escrito nada durante una semana, pero no es porque me han secuestrado ni nada. No sólo parece ser un montón de cosas sucediendo ahora mismo, sobre todo entre Navidad y Año Nuevo.

Un par de días me pasó por encima a San Antonio Aguascalientes (la pequeña ciudad con el gran nombre), donde vive mi amigo Robin. Había una gran diferencia entre San Antonio CA y Antigua. Por ahí, sólo había unos pocos turistas que llegan de vez en cuando en los autobuses poco y pasear por el mercado textil antes de regresar a La Antigua. A las doce del mediodía un tipo salió a la mitad de la plaza y establecer un acuerdo de fuegos artificiales - uno de los que un tubo que se pone en el suelo y le dispara rondas hacia arriba en el cielo en el que explotar. Luego, vagando por la ciudad, me di cuenta de algunas de las tiendas había mesas de fuegos artificiales en la calle en frente de las tiendas. Así que me compré unos cuantos, entre ellos algunos muy grandes que casi parecen cartuchos de dinamita!

Caí en una conversación con un joven que acaba de medio año para terminar la escuela secundaria. Él había visto que estaba conduciendo la RV y destacó en él, así que lo invitó a ver el interior, y creo que fue muy impresionado de que yo era capaz de llegar sólo en el refrigerador y vierta él un vaso frío de Coca-Cola. Así que me invitó a su casa y conocí a su padre y sus dos pequeños primos y todos tuvimos una agradable visita por unos minutos. (Son dueños de una panadería de pan y un horno de righjt muy grande en su casa. Entonces el joven paseos alrededor en su motocicleta con un gran canasta en la parte posterior, ofreciendo el pan a las tiendas al por menor.)


Más tarde, una joven indígena que había estado trabajando en el mercado textil me invitó a venir a casa con ella. Ella estaba en su camino a casa para almorzar. Así que conoció a su padre y su abuela y su esposo y sus dos hijos y también un montón de niños de los vecinos. Fue algo bueno que había llenado el bolsillo con goma de mascar antes de comenzar a cabo, porque había un montón de ellos!

Fin de Año por fin llegué a verlas una luz de estos grandes marcos de madera cargado con fuegos artificiales que la correa en la espalda y caminar con. Lo hacen aquí como en México.

Bueno, voy a enviar algunas fotos ahora.

No comments:

Post a Comment