Friday, December 24, 2010

San Cristobal to Guate border



I left San Cristobal early the 23rd. There is a nice shopping mall in Comitan that you pass by on the way to the border, so I bought a couple 12-packs of Noche Buena (the special Christmas beer) and a couple of liters of Tequila. The WalMart had no Faros, Alas, or Delicados sin filtro so I decided I might as well quit smoking (again).
A mile or so before the actual border, the Mexicans had a well-marked place to arrange paperwork. The only place to park, however, was a bus-stop where I was afraid that I would be impeding commerce. With no alternative in sight, I pulled over anyway. After about five minutes-worth of beauracracy, and having been told to proceed to window number two in the building next door, some of the officials walked out in the road and stopped traffic and helped me make a u-turn. After completion of all the Mexican paperwork, done in less than ten minutes, I was free to advance to the border.

From there it was a complete madhouse. I could never in my wildest dreams have imagined such a scene. On the Mexican side were thousands of roadside stands selling mostly clothing but also children's toys and all manner of other goods. Upon finally reaching the town (whatever its name) on the Mexican side, I came to a sort of an intersection where I could turn left or divert to the right. The third option was to continue straight ahead, but it looked for all the world as if this was out of the question because I only saw a few cars on that street and they were all heading towards me, so I assumed it was a one-way street. This was complicated by the fact that for every car in the street there were about five thousand pedestrians! I knew that Guatemala was ahead of me so I veered off to the right in an attempt to maintain forward momentum.

Further progress was impeded as pick-up trucks stopped in front of me to load or unload a dozen or so hogs, or large sacks of god-knows what, or just decided to park and wait for the back of the truck to fill up with paying passengers.

I finally turned a corner, inched up a hill, and asked the driver of a busfull of people ahead of me if he was going to the border. He said yes so I told him "OK, I will follow you." Half an hour later, it turned out that he was on his way back to Mexico!

At the next opportunity I had to make a left turn (with the help of orange-vested authorities) and run the gauntlet all over again.

Finally arriving at the Guatemalan "welcome station", it only cost me about thirteen dollars to enter the country and get my vehicle sticker. But then the next seven on ten blocks on the Guatemalan side were also jam-packed full of people meandering all over the street. It took me almost four hours to cross the border, from start to finish. One of the Guatemalan functionaries told me that things were complicated by the Christmas season. I guess maybe people on both sides were looking to buy contraband bargains or something.

San Cristóbal de Guate frontera
Salí de San Cristóbal a principios del 23. Hay un centro comercial de Niza en Comitán que se pasa por el camino a la frontera, así que compré un par de 12 paquetes de Noche Buena (la cerveza especial de Navidad) y un par de litros de tequila. El Wal-Mart no tenía Faros, Alas o Delicados Filtro pecado, así que decidí que también podría dejar de fumar (de nuevo).

Una milla más o menos antes de la frontera real, los mexicanos tenían un lugar bien marcado para tramitar el papeleo. El único lugar para estacionar, sin embargo, fue una parada de autobús donde yo tenía miedo de que yo sería que obstaculizan el comercio. Otra alternativa a la vista, me detuve de todas formas. Después de unos cinco minutos, el valor de beauracracy, y habiendo sido informado de proceder a la ventana número dos en el edificio de al lado, algunos de los funcionarios salió del camino y se detuvo el tráfico y me ayudó a hacer un cambio de sentido. Después de completar todo el papeleo de México, en menos de diez minutos, yo era libre para avanzar a la frontera.
 
A partir de ahí fue un manicomio completo. Nunca pude en mis más remotos sueños hubiera imaginado una escena. En el lado mexicano fueron miles de puestos de venta de carretera sobre todo ropa, pero también juguetes para niños y toda clase de otros bienes. A fin de llegar al pueblo (cualquiera que sea su nombre) en el lado mexicano, llegué a una especie de una intersección donde pude girar a la izquierda o desviar a la derecha. La tercera opción era seguir hacia delante, pero parecía de todo el mundo como si se fuera de la cuestión, porque sólo vi unos cuantos coches en esa calle y estaban todos en dirección a mí, así que supuse que era un ser-calle de sentido. Esto se complica por el hecho de que por cada coche en la calle había unos cinco mil peatones! Yo sabía que Guatemala estaba por delante de mí, así que se salió a la derecha en un intento por mantener el impulso hacia adelante.

Un mayor progreso se vio impedido de camionetas pick-up se detuvo delante de para cargar o descargar una docena de cerdos, o sacos de dios sabe qué, o simplemente decidió aparcar y esperar a que la parte trasera del camión para llenar el depósito de pasajeros de pago.


Finalmente vuelta a la esquina, subió una colina, y pidió al conductor de un busfull de personas delante de si él iba a la frontera. Él dijo que sí, así que le dije 'OK, te seguiré. "Media hora más tarde, resultó que estaba en el camino de vuelta a México!

En la siguiente oportunidad que tuve que girar a la izquierda (con la ayuda de las autoridades creados naranja) y ejecute el guante de nuevo.

Finalmente llegar a 'la estación de bienvenida "de Guatemala, sólo me costó unos trece dólares para entrar en el país y obtener mi calcomanía vehicular. Pero en los próximos siete a diez cuadras en el lado guatemalteco también repleto lleno de gente serpenteando por toda la calle. Me tomó casi cuatro horas para cruzar la frontera, de principio a fin. Uno de los funcionarios de Guatemala me dijo que las cosas se complicaron por la temporada de Navidad. Supongo que tal vez la gente de ambos lados buscando para comprar gangas de contrabando o algo así.

No comments:

Post a Comment