Friday, December 17, 2010

San Cristobal de las Casas

I am now in San Cristobal de las Casas, having arrived before noon on Wednesday.  I parked the first night on the street downtown, a block from the city square.  I have looked up my friend Carlos, owner of "La Catrina" bar/restaurant/youth hostel and also re-visited the Italian owners of the hotel I stayed at three years ago (Roberto and Francesca).  The nice lady, Dona Socorro ("Coco"), with the taco restaurant by the Artisan Market recognized me right away and seemed happy to see me ---"a miracle,"  she said.  Anyway, last time I was here I stepped in behind the counter next to her and was pretending to be the cook while her daughter snapped a picture.  The photo came out really well, I thought, so back in Michigan I printed up a full-page copy and mailed it to her.  Turns out that she got it!  The Mexican mail delivery might be a little better than I thought it was.

I have not taken many interesting photos of San Cristobal because I have been here before and not much is new.  Three years ago I thought that the Municipal building might make a nice picture if that temporary plywood stage had not been right smack in front of it.  Well the "temporary" structure is still there, and last night there was a group of children up there singing Christmas carols.

Also, I remembered walking by an auto parts store that advertised on the sign out front that they had parts for Ramblers.  Well, of course the last AMC Rambler rolled off the assembly line in 1965 or thereabouts, so, at the time, I wished that I had my camera with me.  Yesterday, I found the same store and they still have parts for Ramblers and it looks as if the sign has been repainted in the past three years!  The parts are apparently not moving very fast.

I drove to the grocery store yesterday morning and there turned out to be two RVs in the parking lot.  Ron lives in Chapala or, rather, owns a house there but spends most of his time traveling.  Jack and his wife Chris are from bonnie Scotland, but are retired and have also been on the road for a number of years.  These folks are on the way back north after having driven all the way to Panama, so I asked them some questions about the border-crossing into Guatemala, as I have just about decided for sure that I will continue on to Antigua and try to see "Semuc Champey" and some other Guatemalan marvels that I am so far unfamiliar with.

Roberto from the hotel gave me a tip on where to find a reliable mechanic, so I am going to get my brake pads replaced this morning.

(Later)--brake job done in 45 minutes.  200 pesos, about 16-17 dollars.

Ahora estoy en San Cristóbal de las Casas, después de haber llegado antes del mediodía del miércoles. Aparqué la primera noche en el centro de la calle, a una cuadra de la plaza de la ciudad. He mirado a mi amigo Carlos, propietario del bar 'La Catrina' / restaurante / albergue juvenil y también volvió a visitar a los propietarios italianos del hotel me quedé a tres años (Roberto y Francesca). La buena señora, doña Socorro ('Coco'), con el restaurante de tacos por el Mercado Artesanal me reconoció de inmediato y parecía feliz de verme --- "un milagro", dijo. De todos modos, la última vez que estuve aquí me acerqué por detrás del mostrador junto a ella y pretendía ser el cocinero, mientras que su hija tomó una foto. La foto salió muy bien, pensé, así que de vuelta en Michigan, que imprimió una copia de una página y enviarlo por correo a ella. Resulta que lo consiguió! La entrega de correo de México podría ser un poco mejor de lo que pensaba que era.

No he tomado muchas fotos interesantes de San Cristóbal, porque he estado aquí antes y no mucho es nuevo. Hace tres años pensé que el edificio municipal podría hacer una buena foto si esa etapa contrachapado temporal no había sido justo en frente de ella. Bueno, el "temporal" la estructura sigue ahí, y anoche había un grupo de niños de hasta allí cantando villancicos.






Además, me acordé de caminar por una tienda de auto partes que anuncian en el cartel en el frente que había partes de Ramblers. Bueno, por supuesto, la última Rambler AMC salió de la línea de montaje en 1965 más o menos, por lo que, a la vez, he querido que yo tenía mi cámara conmigo. Ayer, me encontré con la misma tienda y que todavía tienen las piezas para Ramblers y parece como si el signo ha sido pintado en los últimos tres años! Las piezas están, aparentemente, no se mueve muy rápido.

Fui a la tienda ayer por la mañana de comestibles y no resultó ser dos casas rodantes en el estacionamiento. Ron vive en Chapala o, mejor dicho, tiene una casa allí, pero pasa la mayor parte de su tiempo viajando. Jack y su esposa Chris son de bonnie Escocia, pero están jubilados y han estado en la carretera durante varios años. Estas personas están en el camino de regreso hacia el norte después de haber conducido todo el camino a Panamá, así que les pregunté a algunas preguntas acerca de los pasos fronterizos a Guatemala, como ya he casi decidido por seguro que voy a seguir a Antigua y tratar de ver "Semuc Champey" y algunas otras maravillas de Guatemala que estoy tan lejos no están familiarizados con.

Roberto del hotel me dio un consejo sobre dónde encontrar un mecánico confiable, así que voy a obtener mi freno de sustitución de las pastillas esta mañana.

(Más tarde) - Freno de trabajo en 45 minutos. 200 pesos, alrededor de 16-17 dólares.

No comments:

Post a Comment