Thursday, November 11, 2010

Frogs for dinner





I am still in Yuriria, parked by bakery.  There are two vacant houses next to the bakery, so I am directly in front of a house and my electric cord reaches the bake shop very easily.  This is such a nice little city, I would not mind living here.  One of the houses has a "For Sale" sign on it and I have gotten estimates (just out of curiosity) that it might sell for 28-35,000 dollars, somewhere in that range.

One kind of funny thing is that when I asked about finding a place to do my laundry, I was told "we don't have that here--you would have to go to Moroleon for that."  (Moroleon is a larger city about 12 or 15 miles away.)  Then when I asked about withdrawing money with my bank card, I wanted to know if there was an HSBC bank in town--"Oh, no, but they have one in Moroleon."   And if I wanted to have "Yuriria" embroidered on the front of my floppy fisherman hat, "They can do that in Moroleon, but not here."

So it seems like Yuriria is kind of like Mayberry and Moroleon is Yuriria's version of Mount Pilate (if you remember the "Andy Griffith" television show).

Yesterday my friend Carlos closed down the bake shop from 3 to 6 in the afternoon (siesta time) and we went around to the other side of the lake, along with his wife Cheli and her cousin Isabel and his employee Pedro.  The idea was to introduce me to some authentic Mexican food that I had never sampled before--breaded and fried frogs!  I had never eaten a frog before.  We had a very nice afternoon and I found that frogs have more meat on them than I expected.

Here is a picture of a little table that certainly seems to be worth the 25-dollar asking price, but if I start buying these types of souvenirs I will soon not have much room in my camper!

I forgot to say that the lady who told me the closest laundry service was in Moroleon then said "Just bring your clothes to me.  I will wash them."  So things worked out very well with the laundry.

Also, the younger folks here appear a bit different than those I saw in Zacatecas and Guanajuato.  They have a lot fewer face-piercings, the girls dress more modestly and the boys don't seem to use as much hair gel.


Todavía estoy en Yuriria, parqueado por la panadería. Hay dos casas vacantes al lado de la panadería, así que estoy directamente delante de una casa y de mis alcances de la cuerda eléctrica la tienda del cocer al horno muy fácilmente. Ésta es una pequeña ciudad tan agradable, yo no importaría el vivir aquí. Una de las casas tiene un ' Para Sale' la muestra en él y yo la hemos conseguido las estimaciones (apenas fuera de curiosidad) esa pudimos vender para 28-35.000 dólares, en alguna parte en esa gama. Una clase de cosa divertida es que cuando pregunté por encontrar un lugar para hacer mi lavadero, me dijeron ' nosotros don' t tiene eso aquí--usted tendría que ir a Moroleon para that.' (Moroleon es una ciudad más grande cerca de 12 o 15 millas lejos.) Entonces cuando pregunté por retirar el dinero con mi tarjeta de banco, quise saber si había un banco de HSBC en ciudad--' Oh, no, pero ellos tiene uno en Moroleon.' Y si quise tener ' Yuriria' bordado en el frente de mi sombrero flojo del pescador, ' Pueden hacer eso en Moroleon, pero no here.' Parece tan como Yuriria es un poco como Mayberry y Moroleon es Yuriria' versión de s del montaje Pilate (si usted recuerda el ' Andrés Griffith' programa de televisión). Mi amigo Carlos cerró ayer abajo la tienda del cocer al horno a partir del 3 a 6 de la tarde (tiempo de la siesta) y circundamos al otro lado del lago, junto con su esposa Cheli y su primo Isabel y su empleado Pedro. La idea era presentarme a un poco de alimento mexicano auténtico que nunca había muestreado antes--¡ranas empanadas y fritas! Yo nunca había comido una rana antes. Teníamos una tarde muy agradable y encontré que las ranas tienen más carne en ellos que yo esperé.

¡Aquí está una imagen de una mesa pequeña que ciertamente parece valer el precio de oferta de 25 dólares, pero si comienzo comprando estos tipos de recuerdos yo pronto no tendré mucho cuarto en mi campista! Me olvidé de decir que la señora que dijo mí el servicio más cercano de ropa sucia estuvo en Moroleon entonces dijo 'Sólo me trae su ropa a mí. Los lavaré'. Entonces cosas trabajaron fuera muy bien con la ropa sucia. También, las gente más jóvenes aquí parecen un poco diferentes de ésos yo vi en Zacatecas y Guanajuato. Tienen muchos menos cara-perfora, las chicas visten más modestamente y los chicos no parecen utilizar tanto fijador.

No comments:

Post a Comment