Friday, April 5, 2013


I left Guatemala on Tuesday the 2nd of April, and am now in Oaxaca.  Crossing the border was somewhat frustrating because I first went to Tecun Uman, the same place I had entered Guatemala.  After having arranged almost all of my documents, and after having had the vehicle fumigated, the final step was to bring the motorhome through the customs and then have my passport stamped to enter Mexico.
    Well, it turns out that the Mexicans have some sort of scale embedded in the concrete that wieghs the cars entering the country.  I have no idea what the reason is for this.  But they told me that my motorhome was too heavy and they were afraid it would damage the scales.  And apparently there is no way to detour around the scales.  And they would not let me enter at the other place where the trailer trucks cross the border.
   So I had to turn around and go back into Guatemala and go up the road about 30 kilometers to a different border crossing.  This caused some confusion among the Guatemalans because they had to give me back my vehicle permit and write a note on it that it was not cancelled after all.  And then when I got to the second place (El Carmen), the guy who was supposed to stamp my passport so that I could exit Guatemala took a look at the passport and said "well, you've already been stamped out of Guatemala, at Tecun Uman!  How did that happen?"  So I had to try to explain everything to him about the Mexicans and their stupid modern technology.  He finally just gave up and did not stamp my passport or charge me the ten quetzales ($1.30) to exit Guatemala, since it had already been paid.  But I did have to pay again to get fumigated a second time.
   Anyway, I lost so much time that I had to spend the night much closer to the border than I had planned.  But, no matter, I was able to reach Oaxaca about mid-afternoon on Wednesday.  My plan is to leave on Saturday morning and try to make it as far as Cuernavaca, which is only about 55 miles south of Mexico City and is where a lot of people from the capital like to spend their weekends and where many of them have vacation homes.  It is supposed to be nice.  I have never been there before, so I will take a look around and see what I think of the place.
   Then after that I will probably go to Guanajuato and spend two or three days there, then on to Aguascalientes, Zacatecas, and home to Michigan.  Here are some pictures of German motorhomes.  They seem very preoccupied with






The Germans seem to be very worried about security.

Salí de Guatemala el martes 2 de abril y ahora estoy en Oaxaca. Cruzar la frontera fue un poco frustrante porque fui por primera vez a Tecún Umán, el mismo lugar entré a Guatemala. Después de haber dispuesto casi todos mis documentos y después de haber tenido el vehículo fumigado, el paso final fue llevar la autocaravana a través de las costumbres y luego tener mi pasaporte sellado para entrar a México.
Pues bien, resulta que los mexicanos han algunos tipo de escala de hormigón armado wieghs los coches que entran al país. No tengo ni idea de lo que es la razón para esto. Pero me dijeron que mi autocaravana era demasiado pesado y tenían miedos de que dañaría las escalas. Y al parecer no hay ninguna forma de desvío alrededor de las escalas. Y no me deja entrar en el otro lugar donde los camiones de remolque cruzan la frontera.
Así que tuve que la vuelta y regresar a Guatemala y subir el camino cerca de 30 kilómetros, a un paso de frontera diferentes. Esto causó cierta confusión entre los guatemaltecos, porque tenían que me devolverá mi permiso y escriba una nota sobre lo que no fue cancelada después de todo. Y entonces cuando llegué al segundo lugar (El Carmen), el hombre que debía para sellar mi pasaporte para que pudiera salir de Guatemala echó un vistazo en el pasaporte y dijo "bueno, usted ha ya sido estampado fuera de Guatemala, en Tecún Umán! ¿Cómo sucedió?" Así que tuve que tratar de explicarle todo sobre los mexicanos y su moderna tecnología estúpido. Él finalmente solo dio para arriba y no sellar mi pasaporte ni cobrarme los diez quetzales ($1,30) para salir de Guatemala, puesto que ya habían sido pagado. Pero, tengo que pagar otra vez para conseguir fumigado una segunda vez.
De todos modos, he perdido tanto tiempo que tuve que pasar la noche mucho más cercano a la frontera que había planeado. Pero no importa, pudo llegar a Oaxaca sobre media tarde el miércoles. Mi plan es salir el sábado por la mañana y tratar de hacerlo como hasta Cuernavaca, que está sólo a unos 55 kilómetros al sur de la ciudad de México y es donde mucha gente de la capital como pasar sus fines de semana y donde muchos de ellos han Apartamento Casas. Se supone que estaría bien. Nunca he estado allí antes, así que date una vuelta y ver lo que pienso del lugar.
Entonces después de eso probablemente iré a Guanajuato y pasar dos o tres días allí, luego a Aguascalientes, Zacatecas y hogar a Michigan.

Aqui estan unas fotos de casas rodantes Alemanes. Preocupan mucho en la seguridad, me parece.



2 comments:

  1. Those are very different looking motor homes indeed. So, sounds like you are probably back in the states about now. You'll still get home in time to make a season ticket to the Tigers worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Don great stuff, Germans and Swiss do it different man. they are safe and great campers i bet.

    ReplyDelete