Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A little over four years ago I was staying in Quetzaltenango (Xelaju) for a while.  Every day I would take the bus to one of the surrounding towns to see what I could see.  One day I went to Totonicapan.  There, a young fellow approached me and asked if I spoke English.  I think he saw my visit as an opportunity to practice his English, which was quite good, and that he was the friendly sort of person who enjoyed showing visitors the attractions of Totonicapan, such as their Museum of Curiosities and the textile market and so forth.

     We spent a couple of hours together and, after having wandered the town, we sat on a park bench and just talked about things, life in general, the state of the world, and the price of tea in China.  He seemed an extremely intelligent young man.  He told me he had an uncle or cousin who owned a boat and made a living by ferrying tourists back and forth on Lake Atitlan, and that his ambition in life was to buy a "lancha" and get into that business.  He said that within a few months, he hoped to go north and work in Humboldt County, California to earn money towards his goal.  I told him it would be a good thing if he had a guaranteed job waiting for him.  He said yes, that he had been promised a position helping with the marijuana harvest!

That was in 2008.  Three days ago I was walking down the street and passed a restaurant, La Terraza, that I had heard of but never visited.  So I climbed the stairs to see what I could see.  I fell into conversation with three young fellows.  One of them said something about northern California.  That reminded me of the encounter that I have just related.  One of them said "you must be talking about Antonio"  and I said I did not remember the fellow's name, but that he had been an extremely pleasant type and seemed to have a lot on the ball.  They said  "No, you misunderstand us.  We know personally the man you are describing. His name is Antonio.  He did go north.  He did buy a boat.  He lives now on the shore of Lake Atitlan.  Here are the directions of how to get to his house!"

I include a picture of Antonio taken in October of 2008.



Hace un poco más de cuatro años me fui quedando en Quetzaltenango (Xelaju) durante un tiempo. Cada día tomaría el autobús a uno de los pueblos de los alrededores para ver lo que yo pude ver. Un día fui a Totonicapán. Allí, un joven se acercó a mí y le preguntó si hablaba inglés. Creo que él vio mi visita como una oportunidad para practicar a su inglés, que era bastante bueno, y que él era el ambiente tipo de persona que disfrutaba mostrando a los visitantes los atractivos de Totonicapán, como el textil y su Museo de curiosidades del mercado y así sucesivamente.

Hemos pasado un par de horas juntos y, después de haber deambulado la ciudad, se sentó en un banco del parque y acabo de hablar sobre las cosas, la vida en general, el estado del mundo y el precio del té en China. Parecía un joven muy inteligente. Él me dijo que tenía un tío o un primo que un barco de propiedad y vivido por los turistas traslados ida y vuelta en el lago de Atitlán, y que su ambición en la vida fue a comprar una "lancha" y entrar en ese negocio. Dijo que dentro de unos meses, esperaba ir al norte a trabajar en el Condado de Humboldt, California para ganar dinero hacia su meta. Le dije que sería bueno que él tenía un trabajo garantizado esperándolo. Me dijo que sí, que había sido prometido una posición ayudar con la cosecha de marihuana!

Eso fue en 2008. Hace tres días yo estaba caminando por la calle y pasa un restaurante, La Terraza, que había oído hablar pero nunca visitó. Así que subí las escaleras para ver lo que yo pude ver. Caí en la conversación con tres compañeros jóvenes. Uno de ellos dijo algo sobre el norte de California. Eso me recordó el encuentro que solo he relacionado. Uno de ellos dijo "usted debe estar hablando sobre Antonio" y yo le dije que no recuerdo nombre del becario, pero que había sido un tipo muy agradable y parecía tener mucho en la bola. Dijeron que "No, usted nos malinterprete. Personalmente sabemos que el hombre que estás describiendo. Su nombre es Antonio. Él ir al norte. Él compró un barco. Ahora vive en el orilla del lago de Atitlán. Aquí están las direcciones de cómo llegar a su casa!"

Incluyo una foto de Antonio tomada en octubre de 200

2 comments:

  1. Interesting Don. I left Antigua this morning and am now in Panajachel at Lake Atitlan. Maybe we will bump into each other again.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Don, are you okay? Haven't posted in a while, I hope you are merely out of contact with the Internet, not with earth in general.

    ReplyDelete